ALLEN, Isaac N
- "Diary of a march through Sinde and Affghanistan under SAir W. Nott.... 1842." 1843.
ALLISON, Capt. Thomas
- "An account of the voyage from Archangel... 1697... the ship and company wintering near the North Cape." London / 1699 / Brown & Parker.
ALLOUEZ, Père Claude Jean
Established Jesuit mission at Green Bay, Wisconsin, 1669. Acc. of missionaries journeys with Father Claude DABLON in THWAITES.
Voyage to Virginia with BARLOW, 1584. In HAKLUYT.
José Amaro and Pedro BAPTISTA were two mulatto serfs ordered by the Governor of Angola to attempt a trans-African journey (west to east) after the failure of the LACERDA expedition. They set off in 1802. For four years they were held prisoner at the court of Kazembe, 700 miles from the E. coast until rescued (1810) by E. Coast traders. Baptista kept a - diary which was published in English translation by BURTON in 1873.
Two voyages to North Greenland, 1898-1900.
AMICIS, Edmondo de
See: DE AMICIS, Edmondo
AMPèRE, Jean Jacques
French historian, son of the pioneer of electrodynamics. Medietrranean and Asia Minor, 184. (see Revue des Deux Mondes 15 Jan, 1842. In Egypt 1844-5. 1851-2, travels in USA and Mexico.
- "Voyage en Egypte et en Nubie." Paris / 1868.
-"Promenade en Amérique..." Paris / 1855.
AMUNDSEN, Roald Engelbregt Gravning
Norwegian Polar explorer.
1903-07 made the Northwest Passage (East to West).
1910-12 Antarctic. 1st to South Pole.
1918-21 made the Northeast Passage.
1926 (May 11-14) Flew over the North Pole in the airship Norge
two days after R.E.BYRD had flown over it by plane.
1928 Norge renamed Italia wrecked while carrying an Italian polar
expedition under Gen. Umberto NOBILE. Amundsen set out to
search for survivors by plane and was himself lost. A further
search for Amundsen and the Norge was made by CHARCOT in
the Pourquoi Pas-
- "The North West Passage: being the record of a voyage of exploration of the ship Gjoa, 1903-1907." 2 vols. London / 1908 / Constable.
- "The South Pole: an account of the Norwegian Antarctic expedition in the Fram, 1910-1912." 2 vols. London / 1912 / John Murray.
- With Lincoln ELLSWORTH and others: "The first flight across the Polar Sea." London / 1925 / Hutchinson.
ANDAGOYA, Pascual de
1513 with BALBOA to Darien and the Pacific. His arrival in Panama in 1522 with stories of rich kingdoms to the south stimulated the first expedition of PIZARRO and ALMAGRO.
Expedition through Panama 1534. See BLANCO.
See also AVILA, Pedrarias de