Traveller. B. Persepolis (Istakhar).
German translation of his geographical writings by J.H. Mordtmann.
ALMAGRO, Diego de
Companion of PIZARRO. After conquest of Peru, pushed south on his own (1535-7) into Bolivia and Chile. Later fell out with Pizarro, was tried and executed.
ALMEIDA, John (né Meade)
Taken to Portugal as a child. Became Jesuit missionary and travelled in Brazil.
ALMEIDA, Manoel de
- "Historia de Ethiopia..." (1628-1646).
- Extracts in English ed. C.F.Beckingham and G.W.B.Huntingford: "Some records of Ethiopia..." 1954 / Hakluyt Society (Series II, no.107).
- "Extremos y grandezas de Constantinopla." Tr. Jacob Causino. Madrid / 1638. Repr. cat. 1970 / Gregg.
Portugese priest who accompanied a diplomatic mission from Portugal to Ethiopia,1520. First reliable account of mediaeval Ethiopia.
- "Verdadera Informaçam das terras do Preste Joam das Indias" Coimbra 1540.
Ed. and trans. C.F.Beckingham and G.W.B.Huntingford: "Prester John of the Indies." 2 vols. 1958 / Hakluyt Society (Series II, nos. 114-115).
ALLAN, Sir William
ALLEMAN, Rudolph Siegfried
- Mentzel, O.F. (ed.): "Life at the Cape in the mid-eighteenth century: being the biography of RSA., 1784." Tr. from German Margaret Greenlees. Cape Town / 1919.
Explored Copper River, Alaska, 188(-5).
ALLEN, Charles H.
- "A visit to Queensland and her goldfields." 1870.