ALCOCK, Sir Rutherford
Army surgeon, later diplomat. Consul Fuchow 1844, Shanghai 1846, Japan 1858-65 (1st British rep.). Minister plenipotentiary to Peking 1865-71. President RGS 1876-8.
- "The capital of the Tycoon." 2 vols London / 1863 / Longmans.
- "Art and industries of Japan." 1878.
- MICHIE, Alexander: "The Englishman in China as illustrated by the career of Sir R. Alcock." 2 vols. Edinburgh / 1900.
See also MARGARY, A.R.
Muscovy Company. Travelled in Russia, Poland, and to Persia via Caspian, where he was killed. See HAKLUYT vol. 2, vol. 3.
Chief police magistrate on Fiji. Voyages in the South Pacific between 1907 and 1920.
- "From Middle Temple to the South Seas." London / 1927 / John Murray.
ALFARO, Pedro de
Missionary to China. Narrative in MENDOZA.
ALFINGER (also Ehinger, Dalfinger), Ambrose (Ambrosius)
B. Ulm. Led German expedition to explore and colonise Venezuela following concession acquired by the German banking house of Welser in 1529 in return for a large loan to the Spanish crown. Funder of Maracaibo. From Coro, Alfinger pushed inland as far as 3°S. Here he was killed by curare poisoning from an arrow wound. A new effort from Coro was made by his lieutenant FEDERMANN in 1537-9, who finally reached the Bogota uplands only to find himself forestalled by the Spaniard Gonzalo JIMENEZ DE QUESADA. The German contract was terminated in 1550.
Joint expedition to Spitzbergen in 1925 with F.A.WORSLEY.
- Worsley: "Under sail in the frozen north." London / 1927 / Stanley Paul.
AL-HAIMI, Hasan ben Ahmed
Journey to Ethiopia 1648. Copy of Arabic ms in Leiden. German tr. by F.E.Peiser, 1898.
Assumed name of the Spanish traveller Domingo BADIA Y LEYBLICH (q.v.)
al-IDRISI (or EDRISI)
(Abu Abd Allah Muhammad al-Hammudi)
ca. 1100 - ca. 1164
Arab traveller and geographer. Born at Ceuta, ed. Cordoba. Travelled in Spain, France, Maghbreb, Asia Minor. His "Description of the World" ("Nuzhat al-mushtaq..."), also known as "The Book of Roger" and completed in 1154, was composed at the court of Roger II of Sicily for whom he also constructed a mappa mundi.
- French trans. by A. Jaubert. 2 vols. Paris / 1836.
- Passages relating to India and adjacent territories tr. S.M.Ahmad with preface by V.Minorsky. 1960 / De Goeje Fund, No. 20.