ABBOT, Sir James
Soldier. Commissioned into Bengal artillery, 1823. With mission to Herat, 1838. 1838-1840 rode from Herat to Khiva, which he was the first Englishman to visit.
- "From Heraut to Khiva... during the Russian invasion of Khiva." 2 vols. London / 1843. 2nd ed. 1856.
ABBOTT, George Frederick
- "Macedonian Folklore." Cambridge / 1903. Repr. Chicago / 1969 / Argonaut.
- "Songs of modern Greece, with introduction, translations and notes." Cambridge / 1900.
- "The tale of a tour in Macedonia." London / 1903.
Voyage to India 1442-1444. See MAJOR 1857.
- "Journal of a residence in China." 1853.
ABEL, Charles F.
- "Savage life in New Guinea." London /1902 / London Missionary Society.
ABEL, Dr. Clarke
Botanist. Accompanied the 1816 AMHERST mission to China as naturalist.
- "Narrative of a journey in the interior of China and voyage to and from that country, 1816-17." London / 1819.
ABERCROMBIE, The Hon. John
2nd son of the 3rd Baron Dunfermline.
- "A trip through the Eastern Caucasus with a chapter on the languages." London /1889.
- "The pre- and proto-historic Finns, with magic songs of the West Finns." 2 vols. London / 1898.
ABICH, Wilhelm Hermann
Travelled Caucasus, Armenia, northern Persia.
ABOUT, Edmond François Valentin
French writer. Trained as archaeologist in Athens.
- "La Grèce contemporaine." 1854.
- "De Pontoise à Stamboul." 1884.
ABREU, Antonio de
With Francisco SERR-O was sent by ALBUQUERQUE with 3 vessels to explore the Moluccas after the Portugese occupation of Malacca in 1511.