CARY, M & WARMINGTON, M.H.
-"The ancient explorers." London / 1929 / Methuen.
- "Les portolans grecs édités par Armand Delatte." Bruxelles / 1947.
French dynasty of cartographers and astronomers.
Claude Delisle, cartographer, 1644-1720
Guillaume Delisle, cartographer, 1675-1726. Son of Claude by first marriage
Joseph Nicolas DELISLE, cartographer and astronomer, 1688-1768. 1st. son of Claude by second marriage.
Louis DELISLE DE LA CROYERE d.1741. Astronomer and voyager. 2nd son of Claude by 2nd marriage. See above Part I.
EVEREST, Sir George
Military engineer. Conducted suervey of Java for RAFFLES (1813-15). As head of the survey of India was resposnible for the measurement of the meridian arc. Mt. E named after him
-"An account of the arc of the meridian." London / 1830.
-"An acc. of the measurement of 2 sections of the meridional arc." 2 vols. London / 1847.
- Keay, John: "The Great Arc" (The story of the Survey of India, dealing mainly with the work of E and LAMBTON.) London / 2000 / Harper Collins.
-Smith, J.R.: "Everest – the man and the mountain." 2003 / Whittles publishing.
See also PHILLIMORE.
GOULD, Lt-.Cdr. Rupert T, RN
-"The marine chronometer: its history and devlopment." London / 1923. Repr. London / 1978 / Holland Press.
HOWSE, Derek & SANDERSON, Michael
-"The Sea Chart: an historical survey based on the collections in National Maritime Museum." Newton Abbot / 1973 / David & Charles.
LAMBTON, Lt.Col. William
Military surveyor. Conducted triangulation of India connecting E and W coasts.
- Keay, John: "The Great Arc" (The story of the Survey of India, dealing mainly with the work of L and EVEREST) London / 2000 / Harper Collins.
See also PHILLIMORE.
MINORSKY, V. (tr and ed.)
- "Hudud al-Alam: an anonymous Persian treatise on geography. London / 1937 / Gibb Memorial Series. New Series #11.
- "Atlas Geographicus, or, a compleat system of Geography." Serial 1708-1717. Bound in 5 vols. London / 1717.
NATIONAL MARIIME MUSEUM
-"Catalogue of the Library: Vol. 3, atlases and cartography." 2 vols. London / 1971 / HMSO